Child Welfare Professional Enhancement Program

 A title IV-E partnership between the University of Oklahoma, the Oklahoma Department of Human Services and the US Department of Health and Human Services Administration for Children and Families.



Thursday, May 15, 2014 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
OKDHS Training Center, 1200 W. Rock Creek Rd., Norman, OK

OU Norman Interviews - Friday, May 16, 2014
OU Tulsa Interviews - Friday, May 16, 2014





The CWPEP Enhances and Supports Oklahoma’s Public Child Welfare Workforce by:

  • Recruiting qualified BSW and MSW students into public child welfare practice
  • Providing MSW opportunities to current Oklahoma Department of Human Services (OKDHS) employees currently working or willing to work in child welfare(Application information for OKDHS employees)
  • Providing mandatory Child Welfare related electives and practicum opportunities to participants
  • Providing selected CWPEP participants with financial support based on in-state tuition, books & fees in return for a specific employment obligation in a Child Welfare position with OKDHS or a Tribe with which OKDHS has a Tribal/State Agreement.

OU Stipend Amounts

  • BSW  =  $9894/academic year
  • MSW = $11,730/academic year
  • For MSW part time students & for OKDHS & tribal employees, payment of in-state tuition, fees & books is paid directly to the University of Oklahoma ~ no stipend payments are made to the student

          Note: This is not a financial aid program

Employment Obligation:
Eligibility Requirements:
  • Must complete CWPEP application and provide all supporting documents.
  • Admitted to the Anne & Henry Zarrow School of Social Work BSW or MSW program on either the Norman or Tulsa campus. 
  • Demonstrate an interest in a career in public child welfare through application, interviews, written essay and references and attend a CW orientation presented by OKDHS. 
  • Sign a legally binding contract obligating the student to work for OKDHS/Tribe upon graduation. 
  • Oklahoma residents - provide a background check from the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, including Oklahoma Sex Offender Registry, Mary Rippy Violent Offender Registry, and a driving records check obtained through a local tag agency.
  • Out-of-state students - provide criminal background and driving records checks from current state of residence. 
  • Must be a citizen or Legal Permanent Resident of the United States. 
  • If you are an OKDHS employee, click here.

Contact information

OU Norman Campus:     Linda Smith (405) 325-7174
                                  Elaine Waters (405) 325-1407
OU Tulsa Campus:        Mary Grissom (918) 660-3351
OKDHS Employees:      Guy Willis (405) 325-1902 


CWPEP Programs for BSW Students at Other Universities Statewide:

East Central University:
Oral Roberts University:
Northwestern Oklahoma State University: