Professor Jerome Dowd was the first Director at the University of Oklahoma of the newly created School of Social Service in 1917. The School was located within the Department of Sociology, and offered a series of social work related courses intended primarily for undergraduate students. The School’s bulletin lists Dowd as teacher for many of the courses offered.
Dowd was raised in North Carolina, and obtained his master’s degree from Trinity College (later renamed Duke) in 1896, and studied in Europe from 1898 to 1891. He began his teaching career at Trinity College and taught at the University of Wisconsin before coming to the University of Oklahoma in 1907.
He was a prolific writer and he achieved national recognition in the discipline of sociology. Dowd was a “Renaissance Man” of social science. He has been given credit for helping develop the Departments of Sociology, Economics, Anthropology, and he played a part in establishing the School of Journalism, the School of Commerce and Industry (later became the College of Business), and the School of Social Work.
Dowd retired from the University of Oklahoma in the late 1930’s and remained in the Norman community until his death in 1952.
Posted on Fri, January 6, 2017
by Laura Kent filed under